Top 15 things to do in Watamu, Kenya
Watamu is a small town located approximately 105 km north of Mombasa and about 15 km south of Malindi on the Indian Ocean coast of Kenya. It lies on a small headland, between the Blue Lagoon and Watamu Bay.
Watamu has a stunning beauty of beaches where you can relax and enjoy as the sun sets over the Indian Ocean. While in Watamu, you can choose to relax at the balcony of your room, relax at the beach or get active through a number of activities that are available.
1. Visiting the Local Ocean Trust; a private, not for profit organisation committed to the protection of Kenya’s marine environment. For a time now, LOT has been working to ensure the future of sea turtles, the protection of a fragile marine environment and the promotion of sustainable livelihoods in the Watamu area.
2. Taking a forest walk in the Arabuko-Sokoke Forest; which is a habitat to many endemic and near endemic like the Clarke’s weaver. The endearing golden-rumped elephant shrew, an endemic elephant shrew the size of a rabbit, is the most noticeable of the park’s endemic mammals.
3. Visit the Canyon of Marafa; better known as Hell’s kitchen, is a natural monument that shows the different colors of kenyan soil going from the white to each shade of warm colors.
4. Take an excursion to The Ruins of Gede; the remains of a Swahili city located in Gede, not so far from Watamu. Gede was one of the most important merchant village on kenyan coast that traded with important merchant nations like China, India, Spain and Italy.
5. Visit Malindi town; Malindi has been a Swahili settlement since the 14th century. Important and famous people came visit this town, starting from explorers as Zheng Eh or Vasco da Gama, up to the author and journalist Ernest Hemingway.
6. Visit the Bio-Ken snake farm; a research centre, which deals with reptiles, especially snakes and snake-bite. Located less than 5 minutes drive from the hotels in Watamu – Kenya, it houses the largest collection of Snakes in East Africa and is open to the public.
7. Go Bird Watching in the forest
8. Deep Sea fishing
9. Take a dhow cruise
10. ExplOre the waters while kayaking
11. Go kite-surfing;
12. Experience the ocean on a scuba dive or snorkeling
13. Go Whale watching
14. Wind surfing
15. Participate in yoga classes